5.29.2016

Shop Your Closet: The Plaid Shorts

With spring here and Memorial Day being the unofficial kick-off for summer festivities, it's time to start thinking more about warm weather style.  To that end, I'm starting a new regular feature on the blog called Shop Your Closet

As I have been trying (somewhat unsuccessfully) to reduce my clothing expenditures and stick to a budget, I have been playing in my closet a bit more, looking to wear pieces that I already have in a greater variety of ways to increase their use value.  So, periodically, I will be featuring an item from my closet worn at least three different ways to help give you all ideas on how to style pieces in your closet.  In addition, this feature will help me slow down with new purchases - does the article of clothing I'm considering meet a wardrobe need? Is it functional for my life?  Do I already have what I need to make at least three outfits with this new piece? 
Shorts:  Myrda J Designer Apparel (Available here)
I start the new Shop Your Closet feature today with shorts!

Enjoying shorts is somewhat new to me. I didn't have much problem with them as a kid, but by college, I was not a huge fan.  It seemed like every pair I ever tried would ride up between the legs and as my body confidence waned, I didn't feel comfortable showing off my thick thighs.

In the last few years, things have really started to change for me regarding shorts.  Don't get me wrong...I still prefer a cute skirt or culottes over shorts, but I have a newfound love of shorts.  Saint Louis has hot and humid summers.  They can be quite miserable - a pair of cool cotton shorts like this flirty pair from Myrda J Designer Apparel is a great solution.  Plus, I think printed shorts are less overwhelming than printed pants on my petite frame.

Blazer:  Eloquii (Available here)
I can easily pair these shorts with a blazer as I did here for a pulled-together but not too serious look for evening. 
Bodysuit:  BoohooUSA (Available here)
This is my favorite of the three looks featured today!  It's a little sexy, a little sophisticated, and it makes me at 4'9" look like I have legs for d...well, legs for a day at least.
Shoes:  Candie's (Available in other colors here)
Clutch:  Ann Taylor
Bracelets:  LOFT and gift
Tee:  Torrid
For an easy, breezy summer look for wrangling kids, running weekend errands, etc., I could pair the shorts with a tee and sandals for a more casual feel.
Wedges:  Sugar
Bracelet:  The Limited
Bikini top:  GabiFresh for SwimsuitsForAll
Lastly, I took a little summer inspiration from Chastity of Garner Style and paired my plaid shorts with a bikini top, perfect for laying out in the backyard with a good book or hanging poolside with the kids.
Sunglasses:  Tory Burch
Do you like wearing shorts? Have you tried Myrda J - this indie designer carries petite plus sizing to fit us shorties so well!!! :-D

How would you style this pair?

Want to try a pair for yourself?  Myrda is graciously offering all Style Cassentials readers a coupon worth 20% off your entire cart!  Head to MyrdaJ.com now through June 15, 2016 and use CASSENTIALS2016 at checkout to save!

Sunglasses:  Calvin Klein
From Look #1
See the bodysuit in another look here.
See the blazer in other looks here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

From Look #2
See the tee in other looks here, here, and here.

From Look #3
See the bikini top in another look here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Please post here. Remember, this is a forum for fun and fashion. Rude, vulgar, and offensive posts will be deleted. Thanks for your feedback!